Islamabad 3rd meeting of the Standing Committee on Interiorwas held today under the Chairmanship of Raja KhurramShahzad Nawaz, MNA. The meeting started with the recitation from the Holy Quran. Then, the Committee decided to proceed with the agenda.
2. Agenda discussed in the meeting included National Database and Registration Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2019, briefing on Immigration & Passports and PSDP for FY 2018-19 & 2019-20.
3. The Ministry briefed the Committee on PSDP for the FY 2018-19 and FY 2019-20. The Committee desired the detail of fund utilized in 2018-19 as well as detail of expenditures incurred during FY 2018-19. The Committee required detail of funds provided to Sindh Rangers and its distribution till date. The Ministry was asked to provide adequate funds to Sindh Rangers to shift the Sindh Rangers’ HQ from Jinnah Kot to protect this National heritage. The Committee wanted the Ministry to raise Buner Wing in FC KP. The Ministry committed to provide quarterly report on progress of PSDP (2019-20).
4. The Director General Immigration and Passports briefed the Committee about functions, performance, organizational structure and challenges faced by the department. The Committee asked to open new offices to accommodate public; moreover, District Passport Offices functioning at SaddarKarchi should be shifted to the respective Districts to facilitate public. Action should be initiated against the Contractor constructing Passport Office Sukher for delay and steps should be taken to complete the project.
5. Different issues faced by public regarding obtaining CNICs were also discussed. NADRA was emphasized to devise a system to deliver CNICs to the people at their door steps. The Committee raised question about recent recruitment by the NADRA. The Ministry was asked to provide detail of advertisements published by NADRA during last one year and recruitment made accordingly, along with recruitment criteria. NADRA will brief the Committee regarding the procedure for preparation of Election Voter Lists.
6. The Committee discussed the National Database and Registration Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (moved by Moulana Abdul Akbar Chitrali, MNA). The NADRA briefed the Committee that majority of the Afghan immigrants came to Pakistan during the Afghan War (1978 to onwards). NADRA blocked CNICs which are cleared on the verification/reports of the relevant agencies. NADRA is working to evolve an SOP to solve the matter as soon as possible.No legislation is required, accordingly the Committee rejected the National Database and Registration Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (moved by Moulana Abdul Akbar Chitrali, MNA). NADRA was emphasized to active the DLC to resolve the issue of blocked CNICs.
7. Hon. Members/MNAs/Mover Mr. Sher Akbar Khan, Malik Karamat Ali Khokhar, SardarTalib Hassan Nakai, Mr. Muhammad AkhtarMengal, Nawabzada Shah ZainBugtti, Syed IftikharUl Hassan, Mr. Mohammad Pervaiz Malik, Mr. Nadeem Abbas, Syed Agha Rafiullah, Nawab Muhammad YousufTalpur, Abdul Qadir Patel, Mr. Asmatullah, Abdul Akbar Chitrali, and the senior officers from the Ministry of Interior, NADRA, FIA, Passport & Immigration with their staff attended the meeting.
Source: MINISTRY OF NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF PAKISTAN