Riyadh/Istanbul (UNA-OIC) – Saudi Arabia has expressed support for the US-led air strikes on chemical weapons facilities in Syria.
We fully support military operations against military targets in Syria, the Saudi Foreign Ministry said in a statement, on Saturday. According to a source in the ministry, the military operations were in response to the Syrian regime’s continued use of internationally banned chemical weapons against innocent civilians, including children and women, in continuation of its heinous crimes committed against the Syrian people for years.
The source also held the Syrian regime responsible for Syria’s exposure to these military operations, in light of the failure of the international community to take strict measures against the regime. Similarly, the Bahrain Foreign ministry has also expressed support for the precision strikes on military targets belonging to the Syrian regime. In a statement the ministry said: The military operation was necessary to protect civilians and stop chemical use. President Donald Trump announced late Friday that a joint US-British-French operation had been launched on Syria, targeting the criminal regime of Bashar al-Assad and saying an alleged chemical attack had marked a significant escalation.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday welcomed Western strikes against Al-Assad’s regime as “appropriate” in retaliation for Damascus’ “inhumane” attacks. “We consider this operation as appropriate,” Erdogan told a meeting of his ruling party in Istanbul. “The regime has seen that its mounting attacks in recent days against dissidents … will not be left unanswered.”
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has expressed his support for punitive strikes carried out by the US, Britain and France against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime. Canada supports the decision by the United States, the United Kingdom, and France to take action to degrade the Assad regime’s ability to launch chemical weapons attacks against its own people, Trudeau said in a statement Friday.
However, China said Saturday it was opposed to the use of force following US-led air strikes against Syria and called for a return to the framework of international law. We consistently oppose the use of force in international relations, and advocate respect for the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of all countries, foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in a statement on its website.
Hua said unilateral military action bypassing the UN Security Council would add new complicating factors to the resolution of the Syrian issue. China believes that a political solution is the only realistic way out for the Syrian issue, she added. The strikes came after an alleged chemical weapons attack on the rebel-held town of Douma that killed more than 40 people, according to medics and rescuers.
General Joe Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the strikes hit targets related to Syria’s chemical weapons program — a scientific research center near Damascus, a weapons storage facility west of Homs, and a third location nearby containing a command post and an equipment storage facility.
Source: International Islamic News Agency